Intermittent demand forecasting package for R

By | June 23, 2014

A new package for analysing and forecasting intermittent demand time series and slow moving items has been release for R. You can download the latest version from CRAN.

The launch version contains the following functions:

• crost: Croston’s method and variants.
  • crost.ma: Moving average with Croston’s method decomposition.
  • idclass: Time series categorisation for intermittent demand.
  • simID: Simulator for intermittent demand series.
  • tsb: TSB (Teunter-Syntetos-Babai) method.

Two demo time series are included to try the various functions: data and data2.

To fit Croston’s to a time series, simply use the following command:

> crost(data)

The function comes with a few different options. By default it optimises model parameters and initial values using the MAR cost function. Using the flag cost different cost functions are available. By default the smoothing parameter for the non-zero demand and demand intervals are optimised separately, but this can be controlled using the flag nop. Similarly the initialisation values for demand and intervals can be optimised or not and set either manually, or to preset initialisation heuristics. These are controlled by the flags init.opt and init.

Three different variants of the method are implemented:

•  ‘croston’, for the original method.
  • ‘sba’, for the Syntetos-Boylan approximation.
  • ‘sbj’, for the Shale-Boylan-Johnston correction.

For example, to get SBA forecasts with optimal parameters for 12 months ahead and plot the results you can use:

> crost(data,type='sba',h=12,outplot=TRUE)

This will provide the following visual output:
tsID.fig1
Functions tsb and crost.ma allow similar level of control.

The next interesting function in the package allows you to create simulated intermittent demand series. The simulator assumes that non-zero demand arrivals follow a bernoulli distribution and the non-zero demands a negative binomial distribution. For example to create 100 simulated time series, 60 observations each, use:

> dataset <- simID(100,60,idi=1.15,cv2=0.3)

The two last inputs control the average demand interval and the squared coefficient of variation of the non-zero demand for the series.

To get a better view of the generated series, or a real dataset, we can use the idclass function. This categorises the intermittent demand time series according to existing classification schemes. In particular the following are implemented:

• ‘SBC’, classification proposed by Syntetos-Boylan-Croston.
  • ‘KH’, the revised classification by Kostenko-Hyndman using the exact separation.
  • ‘KHa’, as above but using the approximate separation.
  • ‘PK’, the further revised classification that deals with temporal aggregation by Petropoulos-Kourentzes.
  • ‘PKa’, as above but using the approximate separation.

Both ‘KH’ and ‘PK’ require the demand interval smoothing parameter of SBA as input. This can either by calculated automatically by the function, or given as an input using the a.in flag.

Finally there are two views for each classification. One summarised that merely provides the number of time series the class/method or a detailed one that provides a scatterplot of the time series characteristics. Here are some examples:

> idclass(t(dataset))

This gives by default the PKa classification.
tsID.fig2

> idclass(t(dataset),type='SBC')

tsID.fig3

> idclass(t(dataset),type='KHa')

tsID.fig4

> idclass(t(dataset),type='PK',outplot='detail')

tsID.fig5
Note that the PK and KH exact classifications, unless the smoothing parameters are provided, can be computationally expensive.

More information about the various optimisation cost functions for these intermittent demand methods and the classification schemes can be found here and here. An interactive demo of various functions and optimisation options can be found here.

66 thoughts on “Intermittent demand forecasting package for R

1. Fikri

Dear Nikolaos,

may I ask, the interpretation from the output of function crost? I read that for intermittent data, Croston and Syntetos-Boylan is the method best used. But, the output from croston method does not seem to generate interdemand period, and somehow, the value forecasted felt underforecast.
    Also, is it possible to see the plot combined with out-of-sample data and measure the forecasting methods performance with that data?

1. Nikos Post author

Croston’s method and its variants are separating an intermittent demand series into two components, one for the non-zero demand and one for the inter-demand interval. These two are smoothed separately, using exponential smoothing and their forecasted value is then divided to provide a `demand rate` forecast. So let’s assume that the forecasted non-zero demand is 4 and the forecasted inter-demand interval is 8. The croston forecast will be 4/8 = 0.5. Therefore, instead of producing a demand and interval forecast, you get a demand rate that combines these two. The way I read this forecast is that there will be a need for 0.5 extra units each period. Eventually over the 8 periods of the forecasted interval a total of 4 units will be in demand. The true timing of the demand event within the predicted interval is unknown and hard to predict, therefore with this method we distribute the demand over the expected interval periods, hoping that when this is translated into an inventory decision enough stock will be at hand.

To make a long story short, the forecast of Croston’s method and its variants is a demand rate forecast and not a demand forecast. This is the reason why typically we do not consider the interval forecast on its own. What you get from the crost function is the demand rate forecast. This also brings me to the second part of your comment. Measuring forecasting accuracy for Croston’s and its variants is not straightforward, as the number we get as a forecast is not a demand and therefore taking the difference between the actual demand and a croston forecast is not meaningful. I do a much better job at explaining this in this paper if you are interested.

2. Anurag

Hi Nikolaos,
    Can you please clarify or confirm if my understanding is correct?
    I take data for 2 years for forecasting and the demands are intermittent. i am trying to predict for next 6 months.
    Lets say i get a demand forecast of 4 units for each month for a period of 6 months.
    So instead of interpreting the result as 24 units over the period of 6 months, i should interpret it as total of 4 units over the period of 6 months will be required. or 4/6=0.67 units each month?

Hi Anurag,

If I understand your description correctly you should not divide it, if your per month forecast is 4 units.
      Let’s say you forecast a time series with Croston’s method and you get a per month forecast of 0.67. That would be the expected rate of demand per month (assuming monthly intermittent data). So you will observe a full unit of demand within 2 months (0.67*2), but with unknown timing. Within 6 months (lets assume that is your horizon), assuming this is your planning horizon, you would have a demand of 4 units, but of unknown timing again. These units could be in the very first month, or the last one or any in-between. Also Croston’s method is unable to actually tell you whether this demand will be clumped or not, so you may have any demand over that period that sums up to 4, but could happen in just one month, or distributed within the 6 months.

3. Anurag

Hey Nikolaos,
    Thank you for the prompt.
    I get this now. But how do i measure the accuracy. I went through your paper and only able to understand that MAE and MAPE are not good measures to calculate the accuracy of the model. Any help on this please.

Many thanks.

Hi Anurag,

I realised that my reply for some reason got lost, so let me repost it. I personally prefer to use the impact on the decision variable to evaluate intermittent demand methods, therefore I prefer to directly measure the impact on inventory in my context. Nonetheless such an approach is very cumbersome to implement and computationally expensive. P. Wallström and A. Segerstedt (2010) have suggested using cumulative errors, such as the PIS which I refer to in my paper. Cumulative errors have the advantage that they overcome the “demand rate problem” of Croston’s and its derivatives, i.e. that the time series is measuring demand, while the forecast is a demand rate, as I discuss in my paper. Another interesting approach was used by R. D. Snyder et al. (2012) who used metrics that look at the prediction distributions. In my opinion this still an open question.

4. Priyadarshini Mukherjee

Hi Nikolaos,
    I have intermittent demand for all my timeseries which is 36 months of history data say for 100 spares. I have used something like this for a few:
    crost(abc,h=12,type=c(“sba”),cost=c(“msr”),outplot=c(TRUE))
    My horizon is 12 months. Now , $frc.out is 377.4191. According to your explanation above, since crost gives the demand rate, so we can say in next 12 months we will have 377 units of demand, but cannot comment on the monthly demand rate or periods of no demand. Is there a way to generate a monthly number as well. Your help will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Priya

Hi Priya,

The output of $frc.out should be 12 values (as you have h=12). Each of these values refers to the demand rate for each month, starting from t+1 up to t+12.
      If you would calculate the sum of $frc that would the expected total demand over the complete 12 months.

5. Priyadarshini Mukherjee

Thank you for your prompt reply….really helpful

6. Priyadarshini Mukherjee

Hi Nikolaos,
    I have intermittent demand for all my timeseries which is 36 months of history data say for 100 spares. I tried to use
    Simulator of Intermittent Demand Series and used
    dataset<-simID(n=1, obs=12, idi=1, cv2=1.085765157, level=NULL).
    I calculated cv2 for one series by removing the zeroes, but i am not sure how to calculate idi or Average intermittent demand interval of each series.
    If you can guide me, will be really grateful.

Priya

Hi Priya,

The command you are running constructs 1 time series with 12 observations, but no intermittency. The average intermittent demand interval (idi) is set to 1 in your example, so the time series will have demand at every interval! You would need idi > 1 to have any intermittency. For the details of either cv2 or idi you could have a look at the paper by Syntetos et al. (2005). Briefly, to calculate this you first need to find the number of observations between all non-zero demand occurrences. Then you calculate the average over these. Say you have this time series: 1, 0, 0, 4, 0, 1, 2. Then the demand intervals are 3, 2, 1 and the average interval is simply their average.

1. Matt

When you plot the output of the simID function in any ts.plot (time series plot) the results are reversed. So if I call testSet <- simID(n=5,obs=10,id=1.75,cv2=0.3) and I ts.plot(testSet), the x axis has 5 data points (observations) and there are 10 lines (time series). Isn't this the opposite of what we should see, as I am calling 5 time series with 10 observations?

Hi Matt,

You are correct, the command should be ts.plot(t(testSet)). This will be corrected in a latter version. Other functions in the package (e.g. idclass) assume each column to be a series, rather than row.

Thanks,

2. Dr. Michael Merdian

Dear Niko,
        I have a similar problem. When looking at the decomp I find an additional 1 (interval) at the beginning.
        This seems to be standard in the tsintermittent.
        Can you help ?
        thanks
        Michael

Hi Michael,

If I run crost.decomp(ts.data1) and I look at the length of the resulting intervals and demand they are the same length.
          lapply(crost.decomp(ts.data2),length) gives me 8 for both. Don’t forget that there is an issue with the initialisation of the decomposition as the first interval is always unknown.

7. KANNAPPAN

Dear Professor,

I have one 5 year data Jan 2011 to Jan 2015, how can i forecast for Jan 2016? less available data points in R

8. KANNAPPAN

sorry, Only 5 data points from Jan 2011 to Jan2015, i want to forecast Jan2016? Could you suggest me in R with code and method?

Hi Kannappan,

I would suggest you use the imapa function from the tsintermittent package. To my understanding this hould be on of the safest methods to use, unless you start tweaking the settings. However, if you want to control the parameters/initial values crost gives you more control.

Hope this helps!

9. Karan

I have a time series data. How do i calculate my adi and cov2 ? Is there a package in R for the same or do i have to do it manually?

1. Nikos Post author

The idclass function works for individual series as well. Alternatively you can use crost.decomp to get the demand size and interval series from your time series and calculate the coefficient of variation and mean interval manually.

1. Hans

Dear Mr. Nikos

Thanks for sharing information Sir.
        I called ts.data2. the data are shown :

testdata2<-c(0,2,0,1,0,11,0,0,0,0,2,0,6,3,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,0)
        After that, I use idclass(testdata2) to know CV2 and ADI . The results show for
        $cv2
        [1] 0.6197917
        $p
        [1] 2.857143

The question is how to calculate CV2 and ADI manually? what is the formula to calculate them?

Hi Hans,

Try this:
          x < - crost.decomp(testdata2)
          cv2 < - (sd(x$demand)/mean(x$demand))^2
          p < - mean(x$interval)

You can find more details in this paper.

10. Bailey

Hi Nikolaos,

I’m using tsintermittent to produce forecasts to compare to the current state (black box) forecasts at my company. We think that our forecasts for intermittent demand are based on Croston’s. The forecasts for these products are provided as two numbers (the non-zero demand size and the interval between them). I found your paper on this very helpful, and I plan to use MAR and/or MSR to compare forecasts. However, it would be very helpful to see both parts of the forecast rather than the demand rate, since this is what our management is used to. Is there a way to output the two optimized forecasts or perhaps to reverse engineer them from the output?

Bailey

Hi Bailey,
      Let me add these two outputs to the code. It should not be too complicated. However, unless you set the smoothing parameters to something like the naive (alpha = 1) then the initialisation of the method may make the comparison problematic. I will let you know when this is updated on CRAN.
      I would be interested to know which company if you can share this information (here or by email).
      Thanks,

11. Bailey

Hi Nikos,

Thank you so much for that! I am kind of curious what you mean by the comparison being problematic though.

Bailey

Hi Bailey,
      The updated package is now available on CRAN. Croston now gives an additional output components that provides the non-zero demand and intervals for the in-sample and out-of-sample periods, as well as the calculated coefficient used for SBA or SBJ corrections, if these are used. Hope this helps!

12. Vinod

The output is linear forecast. Is there any way to convert it into intermittent demand forecast?

The output is
    $components$c.out
    Demand Interval
    [1,] 0.992811 2.491074
    [2,] 0.992811 2.491074
    [3,] 0.992811 2.491074
    [4,] 0.992811 2.491074
    [5,] 0.992811 2.491074
    [6,] 0.992811 2.491074

1. Nikos Post author

I am not sure what you mean by intermittent demand forecast. Croston’s method and its variants by construction will provide a linear forecast.
      Can you please elaborate?

The function provides the output as non-zero demand and inter-demand interval components, but also as a final forecast $frc.out.

1. Vinod

Thanks Nikolaos for fast reply,

I am trying to forecast the demand which have intermittent data.

If the actual demand is intermittent, then the forecast should be intermittent right.

But croston method is giving linear forecast.
        Sample Code:-
        x <- rpois(20,lambda=.3)
        crost(x, type='sba', h=6, outplot=TRUE)
        Output:-
        $frc.out
        [1] 0.4210526 0.4210526 0.4210526 0.4210526 0.4210526 0.4210526
        Is it possible to get the output in intermittent form. (having zeros and integers)

Thanks,
        Vinod

1. Nikos Post author

The logic behind this method is different, so Croston’s method and its variants are unable to provide an intermittent demand as a forecast. Intermittent demand has uncertainty both in the demand size and in the demand timing and the way around trying to model this double uncertainty is instead of predicting demand per period (which should be intermittent), to predict a `demand rate’ that makes more sense as a cumulative demand over a number of periods (the lead time + review period). These methods would be unable to provide such a forecast. I am aware of a particular software that does provide a so-called `sporadic’ forecast from Croston’s method, but the calculation there is misleading. You may find useful to read this paper for more details on why the forecasts that these methods provide is useful.

13. Michael Stewart

What type of format is the input data for crost()?

I don’t understand the input specification. Where should I look to find that?

Michael

Hi Michael,

It can be a numerical vector or a ts object. For example: y< -c(2,0,0,1,0,3)
      or as a monthly time series y.ts < - ts(y,frequency=12)

I can then write either crost(y) or crost(y.ts)

14. Petros

Hello Niko,

Could you please clarify the difference of the outputs $frc.out and $components$c.out ?

Petros

Hi Petro,

$frc.out provides the final forecasts, while the $components$c.out contains the predicted non-zero demand (first column) and the predicted inter-demand intervals (second column). If you are using standard croston then dividing these two will give you the values you get in $frc.out. If you are using any adjusted version then you will need to multiply the division result by the coefficient in $components$coeff. The $components output is aimed more for diagnostic and research purposes and for normal use the $frc.out should do the job.

Best,

15. Dnyaneshwar

Dear Nikolaos sir,
    I read the your research paper . I gone through your comments on above post. Thanks for sharing information.

I want to forecast for a intermittent part with having demand hit 5-8 in a year with very low demand size ( demand qty=1,2,3 etc.).
    I use the Croston variant method to do forecact for such kind of parts but I am not satisfied with result. Can you suggest a good method from your R package- “tsintermittent”.
    and if possible explain me. I am new to R programming.

example: part1- demand for (1, 0,0,0,1,1,2,0,0,0,0,1,2,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1) like this I want o forecast for next 3 month .

Please help me

Thanks
    Dnyaneshwar

Hi Dnyaneshwar,

I think one of the more robust methods to use for forecasting intermittent time series is imapa from the tsintermittent package. However an important question here is what is the criteria of a good forecast in your case? Good performance in intermittent demand context is quite hard to define and simply calculating typical error metrics, such as MSE or MAE (MAD) is misleading.

16. MG

Hi Nikos,

I have a data from 1st Jan 2014 to 1st August 2017. It is an intermittent demand case.

data is something like this
    2014-01-01 2014-01-01 2014-01-01 2014-01-02 2014-01-02 2014-01-03 2014-01-03 2014-01-03
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    2014-01-03 2014-01-04
    0 0

etc. there are values in later period.

I want to forecast for next 30 days.
    I ran this code:
    x 0.1917784
    so, is it means that for next 30 days I must have a stock of 30* 0.1917784 ???

Also, what other things i can interpret from this model???

Also, what is next step to validate this model , means procedure to calculate MASE (mean absolute scaled error)?

Thanks in advance

Hi MG,

The 30*0.1917784 would be the expected cumulative demand over the next 30 days, but without accounting for uncertainty. Normally you need to introduce some safety stock to account for this uncertainty. This depends on the inventory policy you want to use and so on. I would recommmend you have a look at my intermittent demand papers for a discussion on this. I think the most detailed is given on this one: http://kourentzes.com/forecasting/2013/04/19/intermittent-demand-forecasts-with-neural-networks/

As for the error metric to use, well in the same paper I argue that error metrics, especially these type of error metrics are not great for validating intermittent demand forecasts, and only an inventory simulation provides a conclusive evaluation. The problem for instance of MASE is that it prefers 0 forecasts, i.e. a forecast being zero all the time would typically be preferred by the metric, even if such a forecast is useless. The reason for this is that due to the absolute in the error metric it looks for the median of your actuals and not the mean as we would normally anticipate. The median of intermittent demand time series is often 0.

17. Lissa

Hi Nikolaos,

I was wondering if TSB or SBA method can also help in the cases where demand sizes are not small? like they are medium sized (above 100 items per month)

Thank you!
    Lissa

Hi Lissa,

If the demand becomes continuous then Croston’s method becomes the same as Single Exponential Smoothing. The same is true for TSB. SBA that adjusts Croston’s method forecasts would provide biased forecasts, so it would be inappropriate. If the demand is still intermittent, but of high volumes, then the classification scheme used to distinguish between Croston’s and SBA would tend towards SBA all the time, but we do not have a good way to choose between SBA and TSB. I do not see any particular reason that TSB is inappropriate apart from that it is looking for obsolescence.

1. Lissa

Thank you for your reply, Nikos. I am not sure if I quite understand obsolescence. What does it mean in the intermittent demand context?

1. Nikos Post author

Think about an item that you expect it to go out of market. For example, spare parts for an old car that is no longer sold, or towards end of product lifecycle, but still supported by a company in terms of service. The demand for spare parts will also gradually decrease. These gradual decrease in demand, to the point that demand will be zero, is what we try to model with TSB. If this obsolescence is not modelled, then for items that are very intermittent you will end up with excess stock when the item is indeed no longer sold.

18. Michael

Hi!

Love the package for my intermittent demand so far. I got a question on the data.frc function with method as “auto”.

I keep running into the below error, not sure if there is any way to get around this?
    Error in vector(“list”, sum(cls$summary)) : object ‘cls’ not found

1. Nikos Post author

There was a bug that had slipped through. I have fixed it and I will push an update to CRAN for this shortly.
      Thanks!

1. Sarah

Hi Nikos,

I am facing the same problem, and I was wondering whether the updated version has already been made public.

Thank you for this amazing package!

Hi Sarah,
          I have setup a development repository for the package: https://github.com/trnnick/tsintermittent
          You can find the latest version there. In the examples I am running the functions seem to work fine. If you want, please send me a example dataset that does not work to see how I can fix it.
          Thanks!

19. Johannes

Hi Nikos,

first of all, I want to thank you for sharing this wonderful package.

I try to compare the performance of different sales forecast methods with each other. That`s why I would like to receive actual point forecasts from the croston`s method. I understand why a demand rate is more appropriate for forecasting intermittent time series, nevertheless I would like to receive point forecasts for comparison.

In an earlier post you refered to particular software, that provides ‘sporadic’ forecasts. (21th April, 2016)
    Even when the calculations in this software is misleading, I would like to ask if it is possible to use this software in R?

Johannes

Hi Johannes,

Thanks! It is possible, but I advise against it. You can find the demand size and demand interval forecasts separately at the output $components. There you will find c.out that has a column for the demand size and one for the interval. You will also find $coeff that would be the scaling factor for SBA. So if you want to simulate the output of SAP (which again I stress that it is wrong!) you can use the following set of commands:

fit <- crost(ts.data1) horizon <- 20 forecast <- rep(0,horizon) forecast[seq(TRUE,horizon,round(fit$components$c.out[1,2]))] <- fit$components$c.out[1,1] print(forecast) Consider that if you want to produce the forecasts in this way there is no guideline if you should start from the first period or not (for instance, in the example above the forecasted demand is put at the 1st and 11th period, but could very well be at the 10th and 20th) and whether we should round up or down the interval. Hope this helps!

20. Lalit

Nikos

I want to compute Average Demand Interval for a set of demand databse. Can you please let me know how this will work in this package?
    Sample Data is as under
    Date Demand
    1 3
    2 0
    3 0
    4 1
    5 0
    6 1

Hi Lalit,
      You would need to use the crost.decomp function. This will give you two vectors: (i) demand; and (ii) interval.
      All you need then is to calculate the mean of the interval.

21. Prerna Mishra

Hi Nikos,

i have a dataset of 1510 products having intermittent demand over 24 time periods. I am using croston methond to forecast demand. I am using the crost() method from tsintermittent package. below is my code:
    z=matrix(Intermittent_Dataset_Cleaned)
    mycroston <-function (x)
    {
    y=crost(x,h=3,init="mean",type="croston",w=NULL)
    return(y)
    }
    for(i in 1:1510)
    {
    forecast[i]=mycroston(z[i])
    }

The above code obviosuly won't work. Could you help me figure out a way, where I could just return the $frc.in on calling the function and store it in forecast matrix.

I am new to R, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Prerna

Hi Prerna,

The easiest way is to use the function data.frc. For this to work you need to have your data as a data.frame, where each column is a time series to be modelled and each row is a time period.
      The the call you need is:
      forecasts < - data.frc(Y,method="crost",h=3)
      Then a matrix with all the forecasts is available: forecasts$frc.out
      With this function you can call other forecasting methods that exist in tsintermittent as well. Have a look at the documentation.

In the function above to make it work all you need to do is change the croston line to:
      y=crost(x,h=3,init="mean",type="croston",w=NULL)$frc.out

1. Prerna Mishra

Hi,

Thank you for you response. i tried running my function. I keep getting the error:
        Error in crost(x, h = 3, init = “mean”, type = “croston”, w = NULL) : (list) object cannot be coerced to type ‘double’.

I also tried
        forecasts=data.frc(z,method=”crost”,h=3) and the error that I get is:
        Error in FUN(newX[, i], …) : (list) object cannot be coerced to type ‘double’

Could you please point me to what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks again,
        Prerna

1. Nikos Post author

Can you describe x? What is its class (use class(x)) and its size?

1. Prerna Mishra

Hi,

I am taking a different approach now. However, I am running into a different problem:

z=data.frame(Regular0_1Cases)
            forecasts0_1=data.frc(z,method=”crost”,type=”croston”,h=3)$frc.in
            forecasts0_1$frc.in

forecasts0_1$frc.in is constantly showing to be null.

I do get values for $frc.out.

Could you please tell me why $frc.in is showing null?

Thanks,
            Prerna

2. Nikos Post author

Hi Prerna,

This really depends on the in-sample data. How many observations are there, when the first non-zero demand occurs and what settings you are using.
            From what I understand it seems that the in-sample is probably too short?

3. Prerna Mishra

There are 24 observations each series in the dataset. First non zero can be any where in the 24 periods.

Thanks,
            Prerna

4. Nikos Post author

I cannot think of a reason that you do not get in-sample fit with the information I have. Can you be more specific?

22. Luuk

Hi, I am new to those methods and try to implement the SBA method to spare parts demand forecasting. Is it also possible to perform the analysis in Excel?

1. Nikos Post author

Yes, it is possible to do this in excel, but it is not easy to automate in excel due to the decomposition required for Croston’s method. AN example of how to do this in excel can be found in this spreadsheet. This will help you produce a Croston forecast. To adjust this to become into SBA you will need to multiply the forecast by 1-(a/2), where a is the smoothing parameter for the intervals time series (the denominator in Croston’s method). Keep in mind that in excel getting optimal values for the initial values and the smoothing parameters can be quite messy.